Belize provides the three main elements sought by international investors:
- Stability: Long-standing, democratic tradition; independent judiciary; fixed exchange rate.
- Profitability: Flexible fiscal incentives and concessions; Commercial Free Zones (CFZs); Export Processing Zones (EPZs); repatriation of profits and dividends.
- Liveability: Subtropical climate; virgin rainforest; unspoiled beaches and spectacular barrier reef; friendly people.
Furthermore, Belize is strategically located next to Mexico and Central America, near the US and the Caribbean islands, rich in natural resources, with a stable and supportive economy, bilingual workforce and established infrastructure.
Belize enjoys benefits under trade agreements with several developed countries, including:
- Preferential market access to the Caribbean Common Market (CARICOM).
- Preferential treatment from the USA under the Caribbean Basin Initiative (CBI).
- Under the Lomé IV Convention, duty-free access to the European Community for certain commodities such as bananas and sugar.
- Under the Caribbean-Canada Trade Agreement (CARIBCAN), certain Belizean goods enter Canada duty-free.
Government Investment Incentives
The Government of Belize offers a menu of incentives that attract even the most cautious investor:
- 100% foreign ownership of both land and company assets.
- Joint ventures with local entities are encouraged.
- Legislation is in place providing incentives for the retirement industry.
- Flexible fiscal incentives and concessions
- Commercial Free Zones and an Export Processing Zone
- Vibrant, International Financial Services Industry
For more information on investing in Belize, please visit the following websites:
BELTRAIDE focuses on three strategic areas, which are:
- Investment Promotion, and Trade Development.
- Facilitation of Local Businesses and Development of Micro and Small Enterprises.
- Providing Research and Technical Support to Private Sector Agencies and other Business Support Organizations.
The Belize Chamber of Commerce and Industry (BCCI) is the largest private sector membership based organization in Belize.
Mission: As the voice of the business community, we are the country’s leading advocate for private enterprise, promoting economic vitality and quality of life in Belize.
Vision: To contribute to the sustainable development of Belize through effective representation of the business community.